Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer Reading Update

I thought this would be the perfect time to update you guys on my summer reading list that a posted about a month and a half ago. Here are a few of my thoughts about these books.

Take 3 By: Karen Kingsbury - For those of you who know me, know that I love, LOVE, to read Karen Kingsbury. Anything by her I can't wait to get and it is always read within a few days. Her books are a very easy read and about families that are so relatable. Anyways if you have never read a Karen Kingsbury book, I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a good, Christian, fiction book. 2 thumbs up for this book.

Take 4 By: Karen Kingsbury - Currently, I am in the middle of this one. The serious Take 4 has spun off several other of her series, but focuses on various families. Very good. So far it received a 2 thumbs up.

I am the Central Park Jogger By: Trisha Meili - This book was OK. I had never heard of the Central Park Jogger or the accident associated with it. It was actually just a book that caught my eye at the library and so I went for it. It was a terrible accident that a lady endured while running in central park. The book was the story of her recovery, the struggles and overcoming a lot of obstacles.

Fight Like a Girl: The Power of Being a Woman By: Lisa Bevere - I had a really hard time really getting into this book. So I stopped about halfway, due to lack on interest.

Strengths Finder By: Tom Rath - Awesome. Great book to see where your strengths lie and help you understand how to use those and work in groups or on a team more effectively. 2 thumbs up!

Crazy Love By: Francis Chan - Any Christian who is tired of being stagnant or lukewarm this book will challenge you! It was great! 2 thumbs up!

90 Minutes in Heaven By: Don Piper - This is a true story about a man who died for 90 minutes and went to heaven and then was brought back to life by the power of prayer. The man shares about his struggles and life back to recovery as well as his 90 minutes in heaven. Pretty neat book and perspective to hear about his experience with heaven. Worth reading. 2 thumbs up!

Same Kind of Different as Me By: Ron Hall & Denver Moore - By far this was the best book that I have read all summer. It was awesome! Description from the back: A dangerous homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani & Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would ever dream it. This true story is eye opening and encourage. So good. If you are too read anything from this list, pick this book. You will not be disappointed. 5 thumbs up!

Still on the list:
3 Cups of Tea By: Dave Mortenson & David Oliver Relin - I have started this, just need to finish!
Sarah's Key By: Tatiana De Rosnay
So Long Insecurity By: Beth Moore

3 comments:

The Lewis Family said...

Um, can I borrow the Strengths Finder (or is it something you have to write in?), Crazy Love, and Same Kind of Different As Me? Would love to read those!

Our Family said...

You can def borrow crazy love. Same kind of different has me, I borrowed from the library and strengths finders I have, but you have to buy your own book to actually take the test, that would show you what your strengths are. It was really fun though. It hit me like a T! You should get it and take the test and then tell me about what your strengths are. :) But you def have to get Same Kind....oh my gosh it is sooooo good. The people live in Fort Worth. I would love to meet him in person. Great Great story.

Emily Jane said...

Lots of good picks! Same thing happened with me and the Lisa Bevere book. She is an inspirational speaker though. I definitely want to read some K.K. soon (never have) and I wanna read the Crazy Love book. I was honestly not a fan of 90 minutes...I'm not sure why...I think it got too repetitive or something, nonetheless, a good story. And absolutely I liked Same kind of different, I'll maybe even read it again.