Saturday, October 31, 2009

We will miss you Papa



As most of you know earlier this month Bryan's Papa passes away unexpectedly. None of us expected this. It was hard getting that phone call, we couldn't wrap our minds around what was actually happening. Questions begin running through your mind..I wish I was there, just one more time to see him, one more phone conversation, one more hug. Why do we always want things even more when we don't have them or they have been taken away? When things like this happen I always seem to start questioning God...why? I am coming to the realization that sometimes we will never know why, but we have to have a peace that surpasses all understanding, find comfort in God, trust Him and know that His ways are best, and that He loves us no matter what.

At Papa's funeral the entire message was about Papa's legacy that he is leaving. The legacy that is left through his wife, his children, grandchildren and the generations to come. Papa left a legacy. His work ethic, love for God and his family many times overflowed to the people he met and his family.

Nicole Nordeman's song I Want to Leave a Legacy comes to mind.
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy.

Papa left this legacy and this is something that we all should want to leave. Questioning God's ways never seems to get me anywhere. I always end up going around and around in my head...why..why.. Today is the day to stop questioning the maker of heaven and earth. Today is the day that we turn to you God, for strength, faith and hope. Renew and refresh our family with a new sense of purpose and hope to wake up each day and look to you first. We stop the voices in our heads that question your ways. Thank you God that you are the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. You comfort us in all our troubles. Thank you that you sustain us Lord. Thank you for fulfilling our lives. Thank you Lord that your mercies are new every morning. Lord I pray that this family draw near and dear to you in this time. Clothe us with joy, Lord. Help us to live a life like Papa, a life that leaves a legacy when we are gone.

Psalm 48:14; For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.

No comments: