Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Times are Changing!

Holy Cow. First off I have to admit about 3 maybe 2 years ago I didn't touch vegetables. Yes, I would eat green beans, and yummy potatoes, but that was about the extent of it. I would not touch corn and you were definitely not going to get me to eat zucchini, squash, onions or carrots. I was not going to do it. Well I am proud to admit that I have grown up a whole lot. I really do believe my mom now...She always used to say that her taste buds changed as she got older and now I believe that is a definite fact! What's funny, is that there are a few vegetables (mushrooms) that Bryan doesn't like and I have found creative ways to get them in our food without him knowing! Sheesh - so I went from not touching vegetables to now hiding them in our food so we are getting all our servings of vegetables! My my how the times have changed.

So enough talk - Who's ready for dinner?!

Lindsey's Lettuce Wraps & Quinoa :)

Ingredients:
Bib Lettuce
1/2 lbs Ground Turkey
Several whole fresh Mushrooms
Handful or 2 Baby Carrots
1 small can of Water Chestnuts
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Hoisin Sauce (you can find this and water chestnuts in the Asian food section of your grocery store)

Directions:
Lindsey's Lettuce Wraps
Cook ground turkey on stove, while turkey is cooking you will want to get your other ingredients ready. Mushrooms, carrots and water chestnuts all need to be chopped in a food processor or food chopper. I chop each ingredient separately. Now here is where the trick comes in! (You want the mushrooms and carrots chopped really really really GOOOD!! Once ground turkey is completely cooked, mix in chopped mushrooms, chopped carrots and chopped water chestnuts. (So when all these yummy chopped vegetables are mixed in with the ground turkey - one should never know they are eating so many servings of vegetables - yes, the carrot color might give it away, but just say it is a spice if you have to! Moving on..So now you have all the vegetables and ground turkey mixed together and you will want to use about a 1/4 of a cup of hoisin sauce. Mix sauce with turkey and other ingredients. Then add soy sauce, 1/4 cup. I absolutely LOVE soy sauce - so I don't think you can ever not have enough. So really just add the hoisin and soy sauce to your liking. Start small, sample it and add more if needed. FYI: the hoisin sauce will go a long way, so you will not need a lot. Next, clean your lettuce and serve.

A good little side with the lettuce wraps is Quinoa. Cook based on directions on bag :) I also mixed soy sauce in with the Quinoa, because it is pretty bland by itself. But let me tell you it is a great source of protein!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yummie... where do you buy quinoa? I asked 2 workers at food lion and neither could help me.